We would like to thank our instructing solicitors and other clients for their support which has helped us to secure a number of appointments and awards over the last few years..
We were delighted that Jon Holl-Allen QC took silk last year, following Gerry Boyle QC, Sarah Clarke QC and Debra Powell QC who all took silk with effect from 13 February 2017. With recent arrival of His Honour Brian Barker CBE QC , Tom Crowther QC and Nageena Khalique QC, this brings the total number of silks at Serjeants’ Inn Chambers to 21.
Sir Robert Francis QC was awarded an Honorary Doctorate of Medicine from St George’s Medical School, an Honorary Doctorate of Law from the University of Exeter and Honorary Fellowships from both the Royal College of Pathologists and the Royal College of Surgeons. Edward Pleeth and James Berry are both appointed to the Attorney General’s Panel of Counsel (B Panel).
George Thomas, Alexander dos Santos, Rachel Spearing and Matt Chidley have been appointed to List B of Specialist Regulatory Advocates for the Health and Safety Executive, Environmental Agency, Office for Rail and Road, CQC and Office for Nuclear Regulation.
Awards and other plaudits
The collective efforts of our barristers and staff have been recognised as follows:
- Clinical Negligence Set of the Year, Chambers and Partners 2019
- The Client Award for Innovation and Communication, The Legal 500 Awards 2019
- Chambers Innovation, Legal Week Innovation Awards 2018
- Chambers of the Year, LexisNexis Legal Awards 2018
- Award for customer focus, LexisNexis Legal Awards 2018
- Chambers of the Year, The Modern Law Awards 2018
- Client Management Innovation (Finalist), Legal Week Innovation Awards 2017
- Chambers of the Year, Solicitors Journal Awards, 2017
- Litigation Team of the Year (Finalist), Solicitors Journal Awards, 2017
- Chambers of the Year, Chambers & Partners Bar Awards, 2015
- Chambers of the Year, Halsbury Legal Awards, 2015
- Chambers of the Year, Modern Law Awards, 2015
- Clinical Negligence and Personal Injury Set of the Year, The Legal 500, 2015
- Professional Discipline Set of the Year, Chambers & Partners, 2015
In addition numerous individual members of Chambers have won Barrister of the Year awards, most recently Christopher Johnston QC (Chambers & Partners, Clinical Negligence Silk of the Year 2019) and Michael Mylonas QC (The Lawyer Awards, Barrister of the Year 2019 & Lexis Nexis Legal Personality of the Year 2019).
We were shortlisted for seven awards at the most recent Chambers Bar awards as follows:
- Clinical Negligence Set of Year
- Outstanding Contribution to Diversity & Inclusion Set of the Year
- Professional Discipline Set of the Year
- Christopher Johnston QC
Clinical Negligence Silk of the Year
- Gerry Boyle QC
Professional Discipline Silk of the Year
- David Morris
Professional Discipline Junior of the Year
- Elliot Gold
Leader of the Future, Diversity & Inclusion
John Beggs QC and Michael Mylonas QC have been recommended in the Lawyer’s Hot 100 which highlights the “best lawyers in the business…the cream of the crop”. John was also a finalist for the Barrister of the Year at the Lawyer Awards 2016 while Cecily White was Highly Acclaimed as a Rising Star at the Solicitors Journal Awards 2016.
Bridget was also one of 20 lawyers recognised by the Sunday Times in Britain’s 500 Most Influential 2016 (“the role models and heroes whose achievements shape the way we live and who lead, inspire and influence us”) while Anthony Haycroft won the Professional Discipline Junior of the Year at the UK Bar Awards 2017.
We were the only set of Chambers to be shortlisted for the Lawyer’s 2015 Business Leadership Awards (Leadership Team of the Year) and we were shortlisted for the same awards this year (Best Service Innovation). We were also the only set to be shortlisted by the Financial Times, which featured us as “stand-out” in its Innovative Lawyers Report 2015.
We were one of five finalists for the Client Service Set of the Year at the Chambers & Partners Bar Awards 2015 and were Highly Acclaimed for Best Client Service Initiative at the Modern Law Awards as well as the Legal Week Innovation Awards (both in 2015 and 2016). Anthony Haycroft and Gerry Boyle were finalists for awards at the Chambers & Partners Awards 2015 and the Lawyer Awards 2015 respectively.
We were shortlisted for both clinical negligence set of the year at The Legal 500 Awards this year and Bridget Dolan QC and Michael Mylonas QC were both featured as The Times Lawyer of the Week recently.
The citation from the Halsbury Legal Awards noted “the judges were impressed by this set’s progressive approach which runs in tandem with its strong record on ground breaking litigation. Effective management and dedicated client management teams have combined to enable it to develop international markets marking a truly remarkable year”.
However, we are far from complacent. We continue to seek to improve and we invest in improving: please find further details about this here.