Jamie’s experience includes cases of:
- Firearms appeals in the Crown Court.
- Cases involving the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002, particularly cash forfeiture cases.
- Domestic Violence Protection Orders, including prosecutions for breach resulting in custodial sentences.
- Sexual Risk Orders, including a case involving a teenager with learning difficulties which was heard by the Youth Court.
- Sexual Harm Prevention Orders (previously Sexual Offence Prevention Orders), including making police representations on variations.
- Licensing matters, opposing new licenses and alterations on behalf of the police.
- Football Banning Orders.
- Applications for disclosure of information filed in support of search warrants, determined in a closed hearing.
- Civil actions against the police, including claims alleging wrongful destruction of property.
Recent cases of note include:
- A sexual risk order application made against a man found by the Family Court to have sexually abused his stepdaughter. The application was successful and resulted in a 10-year order being made by the Magistrates Court, after a lengthy cross-examination of the Respondent who had disputed all of the underlying facts.
- Defending a police force against a claim for false imprisonment and assault brought by a litigant in person.
- Successfully challenging an application for a temporary event notice by a curry house seeking to trade as a bar during a major sporting event.
- A dispute over costs in the Crown Court after a firearms appeal was conceded by a police force.
- Defeating an appeal against revocation of a shotgun certificate. The court concluded that the appellant possessing guns would pose a risk to the public.
Jamie has also represented police forces at pre-Inquest reviews. He is familiar with working as independent counsel advising on admissibility issues regarding legal professional privilege, and is security-cleared. On pupillage he worked with many members of chambers defending the police against civil actions including claims in negligence, defamation and relating to alleged breaches of PACE.