Joanne was awarded a Pegasus Scholarship in 2019. Through her placement with the American Inns of Court, she developed her knowledge of US state and federal law.
Earlier this year, Joanne was a panellist at the William Stevenson QC Memorial Lecture alongside Dr John Carrier, Her Honour Judge Patricia Pearl, and Karen Buck MP.
Prior to her career at the Bar, Joanne studied law at Newnham College, Cambridge.
Business & Financial Crime
Joanne accepts instructions in fraud and financial crime cases. Recent cases include:
- R v B (Birmingham CC, 2020): Instructed as a led junior in a fraud trial.
- Operation C & Operation L (R v Z & others) (Chester CC, 2020): Instructed as a led junior in a multi-handed trial involving allegations of conspiracy to defraud.
- Operation E (R v C & others) (Wood Green CC, 2019): Acted as a led junior in a six month trial representing a company director charged with multiple counts of fraud.Joanne has also provided legal advice and representation in relation to account freezing orders.Joanne recently acted as a led junior acting on behalf of a high-profile individual pursuing a judicial review arising from a failure to initiate extradition proceedings against a background of fraud allegations.
Serious & SPECIALIST CRIME
Joanne has been instructed as a junior in murder trials. Recent cases include:
- R v W & others (Derby CC, 2020): Led by Queen’s Counsel in a multi-handed murder trial.
- R v B & others (Derby CC, 2019): Led by Queen’s Counsel in a multi-handed murder trial in which client was acquitted following a successful Galbraith submission at the close of the Prosecution’s case.
- R v C & others (Sheffield CC, 2018): Led by Queen’s Counsel in a multi-handed murder trial representing the first defendant in a case involving multiple disclosure issues.
Regulatory and Disciplinary Proceedings
Joanne has completed a secondment in the legal department of a large regulatory body. During this time, she worked on cases involving allegations of illegal practice, disciplinary proceedings, and registration appeals.
Joanne has also undertaken a secondment within a large law firm acting on behalf of regulatory bodies. During this time, Joanne has been involved in a number of investigations and has acted as an advocate on behalf of a regulatory body before regulatory panels and in the High Court.
Health and Safety and Environmental Law
Joanne has acted on behalf of a company accused of multiple breaches of health and safety regulations. She has recently represented a company in proceedings arising from environmental harm contrary to the Environmental Protection Act 1990.
Joanne can provide advice and representation to companies and individuals following alleged breaches of both environmental law and health and safety regulations.
Appointments and Memberships
Joanne is the Chair of the Young Barristers’ Committee (2021) which represents the interests of young barristers across England and Wales. She is an elected member of the Bar Council.
Joanne is also a member of the Female Fraud Forum (FFF), Women In Criminal Law (WICL) and the Association of Regulatory & Disciplinary Lawyers (ARDL).
Joanne is an active member of Lincoln’s Inn and contributes to the work of its Education and Training Department through its mentoring initiatives.
- Pegasus Scholarship (Inner Temple and the American Inns of Court, 2019)
- Sir Louis Gluckstein Advocacy Prize (Lincoln’s Inn, 2017)
- Cholmeley Scholarship (Lincoln’s Inn, 2016)
- Inter-Provider Mooting Prize (Lincoln’s Inn, 2013)
- Margaret Sylvia Kemp Fund Scholarship (Newnham College, 2012)
Joanne has written articles for Counsel magazine. She authored the youth justice paper within “The Justice Papers” series which was published by the Bar Council of England and Wales. She is a contributing author to Lexis PSL’s corporate crime resources.
Joanne has contributed to a number of articles, webinars and podcasts as Chair of the Young Barristers’ Committee on various topics including the impact of coronavirus on the justice system and the challenges facing young practitioners.
Joanne adopts and adheres to the provisions of her privacy notice which can be accessed here.
Bar Council Membership No: 62181
Registered Name: Joanne Teresa Kane
VAT Registration No: