Sarah Simcock represented Amy Winehouse’s GP who treated her in the months prior to her death. Ms Winehouse was found unconscious at her home on 23rd July 2011, emergency services were called and confirmed her death at the scene.
The inquest heard evidence of toxicology results showing that Ms Winehouse had a blood alcohol level of 416 mg/dL, fatalities having been associated with levels of 350 mg/dL and higher, 80 mg/dL being the legal limit to drive. The pathologist therefore concluded that the cause of death was alcohol toxicity. There were no traces of any drugs in her system except a trace level of chlordiazepoxide (known as Librium) consistent with therapeutic levels prescribed to treat symptoms of alcohol withdrawal in periods of abstinence from alcohol which was of no consequence to the cause of death. Assistant Deputy Coroner Suzanne Greenaway returned a verdict of misadventure, Ms Winehouse having voluntarily consumed alcohol running the risk, of which she was aware having been advised of such risk by her GP, that it may harm her health which led to the unintended consequence of her death.
For media reports see: